Qualified, enthusiastic, engaging English tutor
You can book a free 20 minute, no-commitment introduction with any of our tutors. How does this work?
I am a creative, energetic and engaging qualified teacher of English, who is passionate about teaching and learning. Resourceful and ambitious, I work incredibly hard to meet the needs of my students, catering lessons to respond to individual learning styles and requirements. My intention is that all my students will continue to manifest a new potential, reaching exciting heights in their English education.
I have experience working with students from KS1 to KS5, most recently spending 5 years working as a Secondary and Sixth Form Teacher of English in an inner-London school. Here, whilst teaching every year group, I also took on the pastoral role of mentoring a Sixth Form tutor group for 2 years. Prior to this, I have experience working as Teaching Assistant within SEN and EAL departments.
Education and Qualifications:
· Institute of Education, University of London (2012- 2013):
- PGCE: Secondary English.
· Homerton College, Cambridge University (2006- 2009):
- Bachelor of Arts: English Literature and Education: Upper Second.
- Master of Arts (2013)
03/20- Present Private English Tutor
· Teaching English Language and Literature
· Catering to specific learning needs of student
· Delivering personalised lesson plans and creative resources
· Able to respond to a range of learning styles
07/2013- 07/2017 Teacher of English: Barking Abbey School, London
· Teaching English Literature and Language to Years 7- 11 (KS3- 4)
· Teaching English Literature to Years 12- 13 (AS and A Level)
· Teaching English Literature to ‘Gifted and Talented’ pupils (AS Level)
· Overseeing specific areas of the A Level Literature course
· Creating and sharing schemes of work; developing resources
· Monitoring pupil progress
· Organising and leading educational trips and workshops
· Mentoring students of a designated year group
· Parent Consultation Evenings
· Caring for pupil welfare
10/2012- 01/2013 Trainee Teacher: Morpeth, Tower Hamlets, London
· Primarily teaching Years 7, 8, 9, 10 and 13
· Planning and writing lessons for the above year groups
· Planning and writing Schemes of Work
· Evaluating lessons
· Assessing and tracking pupil progress
· Planning and creating extension projects for ‘Gifted and Talented’ pupils
· Engaging in collaborative teaching and learning skills groups with colleagues
· Tutor to shared tutor group (Year 9); pastoral and welfare duties; registration; reports
· Maintaining regular contact with parents; parent consultation evenings
· 1:1 tutorials with specific pupils
· Teaching Assistant, working as general classroom support and learning support for SEN pupils
· Creating teaching and learning resources
· Developing classroom management strategies
Where do I go from here?
You can send Jess P a message through Sherpa and they will usually get back to you within 24 hours. You'll receive an SMS and email notification when they do so.
How do the introductions work?
Sherpa gives you the opportunity to meet our tutors in a free 20 minute introduction, which takes place through the Sherpa classroom.
How do lessons work?
All lessons take place through Sherpa's online, industry-leading classroom. This is a combination of a collaborative, real time whiteboard and a video call, like Zoom.