Chemistry

>

GCSE

Evolution of the Earth's Atmosphere

Question

Why is carbon monoxide dangerous?

3 years ago

·

1 Reply

·

1587 views

U

Ulises Zieme


1 Answer

Carola Profile Picture
Carola Verified Sherpa Tutor ✓

Experienced GCSE Science and A level Chemistry tutor with Phd

21 reviews

Carbon monoxide passes into the red blood cells after breathing it in. It binds more strongly to haemoglobin than oxygen does, so the blood will be able to carry less oxygen than it should. This can cause tiredness, unconsciousness and even death.

I'm available for 1:1 private online tuition!

Click here to view my profile and arrange a free introduction.

Think you can help?

More Chemistry GCSE Questions
Sherpa Badge

Need a GCSE Chemistry tutor?

Get started with a free online introductions with an experienced and qualified online tutor on Sherpa.

Find a GCSE Chemistry Tutor