History

>

GCSE

America 1789 -1900

Question

What was Europe’s importance during the Civil War?

1 year ago

·

2 Replies

·

V

Vivian Runolfsson

2 Answers

Huw C Profile Picture
Huw C Verified Sherpa Tutor ✓

Experienced online tutor. Average value added of 1.5 grades

5 reviews

Essentially it was necessary for the South to get diplomatic recognition to put pressure on the north. It was also very necessary for them to import many items they used to import from the north from Europe if they were to survive, of which the most obvious (and notorious) were warships, built in Britain. In 1861 the Confederacy placed an embargo on cotton exports to put pressure on the British and French, whose textile industries depended on American cotton, and offered to lift it if the two countries would recognise them. Napoleon III of France was willing to if Britain would, but Britain, nervous about the Canadian border, the supply of wheat from the US and also philosophically opposed to slavery, refused to do so even though it caused considerable economic distress in Lancashire.

I'm available for 1:1 private online tuition!

Click here to view my profile and arrange a free introduction.
Ammal S Profile Picture
Ammal S Verified Sherpa Tutor ✓

Medical student eager to help students achieve their best potential

1 reviews

• supplied southern states with supplies
  • allowed the construction of English shipyards confederate warships
  • southern states grew cotton and exported abroad for profit - England and France needed this for their textile mills.

I'm available for 1:1 private online tuition!

Click here to view my profile and arrange a free introduction.

Think you can help?

More History GCSE Questions
Sherpa Badge

Need a GCSE History tutor?

Get started with a free online introductions with an experienced and qualified online tutor on Sherpa.

Find a GCSE History Tutor