History

>

GCSE

America 1789 -1900

Question

Why did the South introduce a ban on cotton exports in 1861?

1 year ago

·

3 Replies

·

Q

Quinn Collins

3 Answers

Lawrence M Profile Picture
Lawrence M Verified Sherpa Tutor ✓

9 years tutoring. English Masters Degree. Engaging, flexible tutoring.

14 reviews

In many ways cotton was as sought after a resource as oil is today. So the Confederates seized this opportunity. Confederates placed an embargo on cotton exports in the summer of 1861. In order to starve the world of cotton, in hopes this would help further their ambitions.

I'm available for 1:1 private online tuition!

Click here to view my profile and arrange a free introduction.
Huw C Profile Picture
Huw C Verified Sherpa Tutor ✓

Experienced online tutor. Average value added of 1.5 grades

5 reviews

They hoped to put pressure on Britain and France, in particular, to recognise them diplomatically which would put pressure on the North. Their textile industries were heavily dependent on American raw cotton and the economies of e.g. Lancashire would suffer (and did suffer) very badly without their supplies. The intention was that they would offer to lift the embargo when the foreign governments recognised them. This would then allow them to trade more freely, and particularly, they hoped, by the materials (e.g. iron, weapons) they needed to win the war.

It failed. The French seriously considered extending diplomatic recognition, but the British refused and the French would not act without the British. Instead, failing to export cotton helped destroy the economy of the Confederacy and was one reason why they printed over $1 billion in paper money which led to enormous levels of inflation.

I'm available for 1:1 private online tuition!

Click here to view my profile and arrange a free introduction.
A
Arabella Lorimer

In an effort to force the British and french government to support the confederacy during the american civil war. Since Britain and France relied heavily on the southern cotton trade, the confederacy assumed that restricting cotton trade would automatically provide european support.

Think you can help?

More History GCSE Questions
Sherpa Badge

Need a GCSE History tutor?

Get started with a free online introductions with an experienced and qualified online tutor on Sherpa.

Find a GCSE History Tutor