Positive and Negative Integers


How do you divide using numbers in standard form?

2 years ago


1 Reply




Broderick O'Kon

1 Answer

Oscar P Profile Picture
Oscar P Verified Sherpa Tutor ✓

Energetic Oxford Engineering Student teaching Maths and Physics.

Say we have two numbers in standard form to divide, (3x10^8) / (4x10^7). If we are dividing, we can simply divide each part of the number so that we get 3/4 x 10^1, or 0.75x10^1, or 7.5x10^0. Note that we get 10^1 by dividing numbers with powers (8-7=1), we can simply subtract the powers as the numbers are both 10 to the power of something.

I'm available for 1:1 private online tuition!

Click here to view my profile and arrange a free introduction.

Think you can help?

More Maths GCSE Questions
Sherpa Badge

Need a GCSE Maths tutor?

Get started with a free online introductions with an experienced and qualified online tutor on Sherpa.

Find a GCSE Maths Tutor