How do you simplify a ratio that has mixed units?

2 years ago


2 Replies




Gia Goldner

2 Answers

Jane M Profile Picture
Jane M Verified Sherpa Tutor ✓

Experienced Maths Tutor working with KS3, GCSE. functional skills

I'm guessing by mixed units you mean 30cm:5m or similar? If so you need to convert them to the same unit so either 0.3:5 or 30:500

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Jane McKenzie

I'm available for 1:1 private online tuition!

Click here to view my profile and arrange a free introduction.
Dawn M

If a ratio has mixed units you must first convert all the units to the same type. Then you can try to simplify it if the parts have common factors by dividing by the common factors.

Think you can help?

More Maths GCSE Questions
Sherpa Badge

Need a GCSE Maths tutor?

Get started with a free online introductions with an experienced and qualified online tutor on Sherpa.

Find a GCSE Maths Tutor