History

>

GCSE

America 1789 -1900

Question

How did the Emancipation Proclamation cause a change in the goal of the war?

1 year ago

·

4 Replies

·

S

Stanton Cronin

4 Answers

Lawrence M Profile Picture
Lawrence M Verified Sherpa Tutor ✓

9 years tutoring. English Masters Degree. Engaging, flexible tutoring.

14 reviews

It became a morally driven war from the North towards the south, post emancipation the freed slaves took arms and fought for the north. This enhanced the Norths manpower whilst depleting the Souths slave-based workforce/economy.

I'm available for 1:1 private online tuition!

Click here to view my profile and arrange a free introduction.
John W Profile Picture
John W Verified Sherpa Tutor ✓

Personalised and aspirational History tuition - IGCSE & A Level

1 reviews

The Emancipation Proclamation extended the scope and purpose of the US Civil War beyond preservation of the Union to encompass wider moral, social and ethical considerations involving abolition of slavery.

Michael Profile Picture
Michael Verified Sherpa Tutor ✓

Professional and friendly Law and English tutor!

The emancipation proclaimation shifted the primary goal of the war from maintaining the Union to abolition of slavery throughout the Union.

Charlotte B Profile Picture
Charlotte B Verified Sherpa Tutor ✓

Qualified teacher with 6 years of experience in teaching History.

The Emancipation Proclamation altered the goals of the American Civil War. Initially, the Civil War had been a response to the secession, breaking away of the Confederate States, and was an attempt to bring about reunification. However, as the war developed so did Lincoln's aims. The war that was started over the debate over slavery was changed when Lincoln Emancipated the slaves. Thus their was a new moral and military drive to the war. Now the United States had a much wider support base and men to fight as soldiers after the Emancipation. This change meant one term of victory would be the ratifying of the Emancipation and official abolishment of slavery.

Think you can help?

More History GCSE Questions
Sherpa Badge

Need a GCSE History tutor?

Get started with a free online introductions with an experienced and qualified online tutor on Sherpa.

Find a GCSE History Tutor