Maths

>

KS3

Numbers

Question

How would you convert 0.57 to a fraction?

2 years ago

·

5 Replies

·

J

Jillian Smith

5 Answers

Lissie Profile Picture
Lissie Verified Sherpa Tutor ✓

Experienced Maths tutor, infectiously enthusiastic

0.57 has two digits after the decimal place, so you put it over a 1 with two 0s i.e. over 100

So 0.57 = 57/100

As 57 and 100 do not share any factors, this cannot be further simplified so 57/100 is the final answer

I'm available for 1:1 private online tuition!

Click here to view my profile and arrange a free introduction.
Jannat  Profile Picture
Jannat Verified Sherpa Tutor ✓

DBS checked English tutor, BA English and AKC from KCL.

In order to convert 0.57 to a fraction, we first need to make sure we understand what a fraction is, and how it is represented.

A fraction is defined as one part of a whole and can be any quantity. It is made up of a numerator and a denominator.

The denominator is the number of total parts in a whole. To figure this out, we can refer to the number of decimal places in 0.57.

In the number 0.57. the number 5 represents the tenths, and the number 7 represents the hundredths. As the last number signifies that we are working with the hundredths place value, which is represented with 2 decimal places, we can confidently say that the correct denominator will be 100.

Then, to figure out the numerator, we simply place the relevant decimal places over the place value: in this case, the answer would be 57/100.

Richard A Profile Picture
Richard A Verified Sherpa Tutor ✓

Primary Teacher with 15 years teaching experience. 11+ tuition.

Hello! Great question! To record this as a decimal and numerator would look like this - 57/100. Hope that helps!

N
Nithyashree Balakrishnan

57 fraction sign then 100 over the 57 so it would look like 57/100

K
Kavita Ujjal

Write 0.57 as 0.571

Think you can help?

More Maths KS3 Questions
Sherpa Badge

Need a KS3 Maths tutor?

Get started with a free online introductions with an experienced and qualified online tutor on Sherpa.

Find a KS3 Maths Tutor