·

31 Replies

·

V

Vern

31 Answers

G
George Evans

The First Battle of Bull Run, the very first significant battle of the American Civil War.

Emily P Profile Picture
Emily P Verified Sherpa Tutor ✓

Tutoring for GCSE science and history provided by experienced tutor.

On the 21st July 1861, the first major land battle of the Civil War occurred. The battle is most commonly know as the battle of Bull Run due to its location along the Bull Run river. 35,000 Union soldiers fought with 20,000 Confederate soldiers. The battle saw victory for the Confederates after attacking the Unions right flank. This battle was significant as it led to the reorganisation of the Union army but more importantly showed that the Civil War would not be over as fast as expected.

I'm available for 1:1 private online tuition!

Click here to view my profile and arrange a free introduction.
Lawrence M Profile Picture
Lawrence M Verified Sherpa Tutor ✓

9 years tutoring. English Masters Degree. Engaging, flexible tutoring.

14 reviews

I'm sure others have already replied, however July 1861 was a very important month in American History. That us when the Union and Confederate soldiers fought just on the outskirts of Virginia. It is considered the first documented fight of the Civil War.

H
Hannah T

Hi Vern,

On July 21st 1861, the first land battle of the Civil War in the US took place. It happened close to Washington and the White House. Americans who live in the southern states often call this the Battle of Manassas (as this town was close to where the battle happened). In the north of America, it is called Bull Run.

Hope this helps :)

L
Leanne Bacchus

The outbreak of the US civil war between the Southern and Northern states, which ended in 1865

I
Isabella Ayers

The first battle of Bull Run in Virginia USA

S
STUART GLENN YATES

Quite a few things but the most significant would be the Confederate victory at the First Battle of Bull Run on the 25th. This sent shockwaves through the Union and created huge optimism throughout the South.

M
Mounika

Hello! This is Mounika. I'm here to help you with history and English

H
Hollie Walpole-Taylor

The first Land battle of the Civil war, July 21st 1861 Battle of Bull Run

E
Ellen Williams

On July 21, 1861 the First Battle of Bull Run, the first major engagement of the Civil War occurred between the Union and Confederate troops.

W
Will Kingston-Cox

Several key events of the American Civil War took place during July 1861. On 21 July, the First Battle of Bull Run (also known as the First Battle of Manassas) occurred near Manassas, Virginia. It was the first major land battle of the Civil War and was decisively won by the Confederate Army.

The Union Army, led under the command of Brigadier General Irvin McDowell, launched an offensive against the Confederacy led by Generals P.G.T Beauregard and Joseph E. Johnston. Despite initial Union advances, Confederacy reinforcements turned the tide of the battle. Union forces were ultimately forced into retreat - disorganised, the retreat turned into a rout. Importantly, the Battle of Bull Run shattered Northern illusions of a quick and decisive victory.

N
Nefeli Vasiliou

July 1861 is a significant month in the history of the USA. On the 21st of July 1861, the Battle of Bull Run, otherwise known as the Battle of First Manassas happened. It was the first major battle of the American Civil War - fought between the Confederate and Union Armies.

It took place in Virginia near the city of Manassas, hence its name. This battle was won by the Confederates.

Bex Profile Picture
Bex Verified Sherpa Tutor ✓

Experienced History Tutor with a student-led approach

5 reviews

Hi Vern,

In July 1861, the first land battle of the Civil War was fought, about 30 miles outside Washington. It was known by Northerners as Bull Run, and was close enough to the capital for Senators to witness the battle. Hope this helps!

W
William Briggs

First Battle of Bull Run (known in the South as First Manassas) 

S
Sophie Tidd

The first battle of Bull Run

Think you can help?

More History GCSE Questions
Sherpa Badge

Need a GCSE History tutor?

Get started with a free online introductions with an experienced and qualified online tutor on Sherpa.

Find a GCSE History Tutor