·

36 Replies

·

V

Vern

36 Answers

W
William Briggs

First Battle of Bull Run (known in the South as First Manassas) 

F
Fawjya

The first major battle of the Civil War happened on July 21, 1861, near Washington D.C. Southerners called it the Battle of Manassas, named after a nearby town, while Northerners referred to it as Bull Run, after a stream nearby.

S
Sophie Tidd

The first battle of Bull Run

E
Esmond Henry

The First Battle of Bull Run, the first major land battle of the American Civil War.

M
Maryjane Ezinne

In July 1861, the First Battle of Bull Run, also known as the First Battle of Manassas, took place during the American Civil War. It was the first major land battle of the conflict.

M
Maria Tir

The first land battle of the Civil War happened on July 21st,1861. This happened so close to Washington that the U.S. senators were able to witness the battle in person.

O
Omer T.

it was the first battle between Union and Confederate troops

E
Ellen Williams

On July 21, 1861 the First Battle of Bull Run, the first major engagement of the Civil War occurred between the Union and Confederate troops.

H
Hollie Walpole-Taylor

The first Land battle of the Civil war, July 21st 1861 Battle of Bull Run

M
Mounika

Hello! This is Mounika. I'm here to help you with history and English

L
Louise Treverton-Black

In July 1861, President Abraham Lincoln insisted that there would be no separation of the Union.

Therefore, from the viewpoint of the Confederacy, the Civil War in America HAD to continue.

Lincoln and Davis, both, had set out their beliefs and their determination - thus, a long drawn out civil war was inevitable.

Olivia  Profile Picture
Olivia Verified Sherpa Tutor ✓

Friendly Chemistry and Maths Graduate teaching Maths, Science and more

The First Battle of Bull Run happened on the 21st of July 1861. This was the first major battle between the Union and Confederate troops in the Civil War.

I'm available for 1:1 private online tuition!

Click here to view my profile and arrange a free introduction.
H
Harkamal

the union and confederate troops clashed outside manassas, Virginia, in the first major engagement of the civil war, the first battle of the bull run

H
Hannah T

Hi Vern,

On July 21st 1861, the first land battle of the Civil War in the US took place. It happened close to Washington and the White House. Americans who live in the southern states often call this the Battle of Manassas (as this town was close to where the battle happened). In the north of America, it is called Bull Run.

Hope this helps :)

Lawrence M Profile Picture
Lawrence M Verified Sherpa Tutor ✓

9 years tutoring. English Masters Degree. Engaging, flexible tutoring.

14 reviews

I'm sure others have already replied, however July 1861 was a very important month in American History. That us when the Union and Confederate soldiers fought just on the outskirts of Virginia. It is considered the first documented fight of the Civil War.

I'm available for 1:1 private online tuition!

Click here to view my profile and arrange a free introduction.

Think you can help?

More History GCSE Questions
Sherpa Badge

Need a GCSE History tutor?

Get started with a free online introductions with an experienced and qualified online tutor on Sherpa.

Find a GCSE History Tutor