Maths

>

KS3

Numbers

Question

How would you find 15% of £5?

2 years ago

·

24 Replies

·

3229 views

A

Abdullah Conn


24 Answers

Julie P Profile Picture
Julie P Verified Sherpa Tutor ✓

Primary Teacher (BA Hons, PGCE) English , Maths and English

10% of 500p= 50p

5% of 500p= 25p

15% of 500p = 50p +25p = 75p


That would be my mental method


Written Method

I'm available for 1:1 private online tuition!

Click here to view my profile and arrange a free introduction.
Richard A Profile Picture
Richard A Verified Sherpa Tutor ✓

Primary Teacher with 15 years teaching experience. 11+ tuition.

5 divided by 100 is 0.05. Multiply this by 15 which is 0.75 or 75p!

I'm available for 1:1 private online tuition!

Click here to view my profile and arrange a free introduction.
H
Haana Kurasz

Hi Abdullah, if we use a non calculator method It might be easier to change £5 to pence £5 = 500 pence then calculate 15%.


15% = 10% +5% so find 10% and 5% separately and add the results to give you 15%.


10% = Divide the number by ten and since 5% is half 10% to find 5% half 10%


10% of 500 p 500/ 10 = 50 p

5% of 500 p 50/2 = 25 p

15% = 50 p+25p = 75 p

F
Faeeza Mohamed

Find 10% of £5 which is 0.5 and half that to get 5% which is 0.25 and both answers together which is 0.75.

N
Niamh

£5 is equal to 100%, therefore if you are to divide it by 10 you can find 10% (as 10 x 10 = 100)

10%= £5/10=£0.50

As 5% will be half of 10%, you can divide £0.50 by 2 to get 5% which is £0.25

15% is equal to the sum of the 10% and 5% you have already found, £0.50 + £0.25 = £0.75

Therefore 15% of £5 is equal to £0.75

H
Heena Mohammed

Hi Abdullah,

This is how I would approach the question.

First I would find out 10% of £5 which would be 50p as when you work out 10% you divide £5 by 10.

I have left to work out 5% which will be half the value of 10%. As 10% is 50p 5% would be 25p.

I now have both 10% and 5% which when added together gives you 15%.

Thus, 50p + 25p = 75p

So 15% of £5 is 75p

O
Omar Chaudhry

15/100 = 0.15


0.15 *£5.00 = 0.75p

H
Harri

First, divide £5 by 10 to find 10% of £5 - which is £0.5 or 50p. Then, divide this by 2 to find 5% of the original, which is 25p.

Add the 10% and 5% together to find 15% - 75p!

F
Falguni Patel

5.00 divided by 100=0.05

1%= 0.05

15%= 15 x 0.05=0.75

=75p

Samantha M Profile Picture
Samantha M Verified Sherpa Tutor ✓

6yrs experience, English and maths tutor (TEFL, SEND + Examiner)

1 reviews

Hi Abdullah, first you would find 10% which you can find by dividing the number by 10. 10% of £5 would be 50p. Next you would find 5% which is half of 10%, this would be 25p. To get 15%, you would need to add these two numbers together: 75p

I'm available for 1:1 private online tuition!

Click here to view my profile and arrange a free introduction.
David B Profile Picture
David B Verified Sherpa Tutor ✓

KS3 & GCSE Maths, Statistics, Edexcel & AQA. Qualified Head of Maths

3 reviews

If you have a calculator, multiply 5 by 0.15 (as 0.15 is the same as 15%) = 0.75


Without a calculator, find 10% by dividing by 10 (=0.50), and 5% by dividing that by 2 (=0.25), then add together = 0.75

I'm available for 1:1 private online tuition!

Click here to view my profile and arrange a free introduction.
S
Summer Henstock

Firstly we can work out 10% of £5. This would be 50p. We have taken £5.00 and moved the decimal place forward by one digit. We then work out half of this 10% (50p) which would be 25p. We can add our 10% and 5% together now to reach a total of 15%. 50p + 25p is 75p. So 75p is our answer!

V
Vicky Miller

step 1: 100% = £5 so dividing it by 100 gives us 1%

5 ÷ 100 = 0.05

step 2: multiply the answer by the percentage we wish to find 1% x 15 = 15%

0.05 x 15 = 0.75

15% of £5 = £0.75

T
Tayla Nagle

Find 10% by dividing £5 by 10 = £0.50


Find 5% by dividing our 10% £0.50 by 2 = £0.25


Add £0.50 and £0.25 = £0.75 or 75p

Sheik A Profile Picture
Sheik A Verified Sherpa Tutor ✓

Head of Maths & Examiner. Research led teaching. Evidence in results.

1 reviews

First find 10% of 5 = 5/10 = 0.5

Then find 5% of 5 = 0.25


Then add up both to get final answer = 0.5 + 0.25 = 0.75

I'm available for 1:1 private online tuition!

Click here to view my profile and arrange a free introduction.

Think you can help?

More Maths KS3 Questions
Sherpa Badge

Need a KS3 Maths tutor?

Get started with a free online introductions with an experienced and qualified online tutor on Sherpa.

Find a KS3 Maths Tutor